Welcome to the Grove City Marching Band!
Congratulations! Your child has made it past the audition process and has been accepted in one of the best band organizations in the country. You are about to embark on an adventure that you and your child will remember for the rest of your lives. Whether your child is entering the program as a freshman or an upperclassman, you can benefit from the information on this page.
Below are some steps you can take to maximize the benefits you can get from the band. These include how to stay informed, how to participate, how to make money for your family account, and much more.
Hierarchy of how to get information
This should be the order in which you look for information. This page will outline details on some of this and more.
- Always check the band calendar first
- Check the band handbook
- Contact your mentor. If your mentor doesn't know, they will contact the mentor chair for you. (See below)
- Check the website for booster contact information for specific contacts
- Facebook is not to be used to find out information or dates, but more for committee chairs to announce events or fundraisers.
Become Familiar with Charms
Charms is the system that is used by the band to handle payments for fees, distribution of the music for the show, itineraries, hand-outs and forms, and much more. It is required to have a charms account. Here are the instructions on how to access your Charms account.
INCOMING FRESHMEN: A Charms account will be created for you over the summer. When active, an email will be sent notifying you that the account is online and can be accessed.
Important note about Charms: All Director communication is distributed through Charms, this includes itineraries. So, use the instructions above to update your personal information, especially your E-mail address, so you can receive this vital information.
Join the Yahoo Group **Important!**
This is one of the most important things (apart from Charms). The Yahoo Group is how you find out about booster events, requests for volunteers, and Fundraisers (Including Invites to the concession stand events). If you are not on the Yahoo Group, you will often not have the latest updated information. Here are the instructions for joining the Yahoo Group.
Join the Band Boosters Organization
Click HERE to download and fill out the Booster Membership Application. Membership in the band boosters is $5/person/year. The Parents of a child in band would be considered Active Booster Members; relatives such as aunts, uncles, grandparents, or even friends, are Associate members. Associate members are not eligible to vote on Booster matters.
All parents are strongly encouraged to become a Booster member. This is a great way to your student and make their band experience the best it can be. For insurance reasons, all who participate in any Booster activities, including chaperoning and all fundraising activities, must be Booster members.
Submit your Booster Application ASAP so you are eligible to start participating.
- You may mail it to: Grove City High School Band Boosters, PO Box 403, Grove City, OH 43123
- You may drop the form off in the Booster mailbox outside Mr. Graham’s office in the main band room at Grove City High School.
- You may also bring it to a Booster Meeting on the first Monday of each month.
Interested in chaperoning?
Subscribe to the GCHS Band Calendar
Click HERE to access the Google Calendar for confirmation of major events and general booster meetings. This is a calendar that you can subscribe to on your phone or computer. There are instructions on the page for you to do that. This is extremely helpful for keeping up with activities months in advance.
Nobody likes fundraising. But the band provides a variety of ways that you can raise funds for the band and for your own family account. It is no exaggeration that many in the organization pay NOTHING out of pocket because of the opportunities that are provided to the organization (including last year's $2,600 trip!). For fundraisers that are designed for student assistance, you receive 80% of the profits and 20% goes to the general fund.
The Types of Fundraisers
- General Fund - These are most-often restaurant nights but there are some others that only benefit the band organization. These are very important to manage our budget. It takes a lot to put on a program like this and your help in these areas goes a long way.
- Benefiting Family Accounts - These are things like selling flowers, sub sandwiches, pies, etc.
- Levy Concessions - This is the biggest set of fundraising tasks that we have. By working concessions at events like soccer, baseball, basketball games, and concerts, you can make a great deal towards your family account. Talk to any upperclassman parent and they will tell you the amount they have raised in their time. It is astonishing. This is not super easy work (sometimes it is) but many times it's hard work, but it is rewarding in many ways.
Please see our Fundraising page for information on fundraisers. See the Levy Concessions page for very important and useful information on working those events. Lastly, check out the Fundraising Calendar which is just like the Band calendar. You can look ahead at what events are coming up and free up your calendar.
If you have further questions about a specific item. See the Booster Info page above and you can find who is in charge of what activity. This is very useful and easier than posting questions on Facebook. Some committee members are not on Facebook or don't monitor it.